Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Dried California Apricot Shortage

I am rather fond of dried fruit. Raisins, dried apricots, dried plums, dried peaches, dried cherries and cranberries are enjoyable snacks and welcome additions to a plethora of recipes. I consider dried California apricots to be a particular treat. They have a tangy, intense, almost tart flavor. I prefer the unsulphured apricots, if I can find them.

Unfortunately, I have noticed diminished availability of dried California apricots. When they do appear in stores, the price is considerably higher than it used to be. In an online search for a source for dried California apricots, I happened upon a possible explanation for their apparent scarcity and increased price. “[I]t is regrettably harder to find dried California apricots today. Due to importation of dried apricots and cheap labor costs abroad, California’s dried apricot industry has suffered.”

Alas, alack, what is the world coming to when one’s little pleasures are no longer easily to be had?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home