Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Friday, July 29, 2005

My New Acquisition (Which I Can Ill Afford)

A fool and his money are soon parted. This is a particularly bad time for me to be spending money on non-necessaries, given that Congress recently passed the new bankruptcy legislation that makes it more difficult for consumers to escape debt. I jest.

This afternoon, after making a futile effort to apply for jobs with the Texas Attorney General, I grew weary of sitting at home unemployed.

As an aside, the WorkInTexas website is totally not user friendly. WorkInTexas is the only way to apply for employment with the Texas AG. “All applications for employment with the OAG must be submitted electronically through www.WorkInTexas.com.… [P]aper applications will not be accepted at any OAG office.” I imaging that making WorkInTexas difficult to use is a means of eliminating potential applicants or narrowing the field of applicants.

Growing increasingly frustrated with my unemployment, on a whim, I decided to venture out of the house. Bad things, man. I had in mind bad things – for my bank account, that is. I do not know what possessed me, but I decided to make a purchase that I had been deferring until if and when I had an income and disposable funds. Williams-Sonoma has been offering for some time a 3 ½ quart Le Creuset Dutch oven, regular price $200.00, for the low, low price of $150.00. I have been needing (I use the term loosely) an additional 3 ½ quart pot. In a moment of weakness, I became the owner of a new Le Creuset Dutch oven. We will worry about paying for it later. Maybe I will be gainfully employed when that time comes.

4 Comments:

  • wow---first sur la table, now williams -sonoma. you must enjoy cooking eh? what's your favorite houston restaurant?

    By Anonymous fauveress, at 9:58 PM, July 29, 2005  

  • Actually, I do not dine out that frequently. I have enjoyed Hugo's, at 1602 Westheimer. I would like to try Da Marco, at 1520 Westheimer, http://www.damarcohouston.com/. Both restaurants are cost prohibitive for me, though.
    Is there anywhere you particularly like to dine?

    By Blogger Matthew, at 2:38 AM, July 30, 2005  

  • i liked hugo's too. i really like cafe piquet over on bissonnet, near that ssqq dance studio. not sure if you like black beans and rice with plantains--but i do! they have this breaded steak (or chicken or fish) (i think it's called bistec empanizado) that is so delicious. squeeze a little lemon on there and you are set! my husband's puerto rican so it's probably the closest thing to home cooking for him here. my favorite italian restaurants in the city are maggiano's (on post oak blvd.) and grotto's. so to sum up, my favorite cuisines lately are cuban and vietnamese. if you like vietnamese, you gotta go to the places on bellaire. cheap and fantastic!!! sorry this is so long, but i love to talk about food and restaurants...

    By Blogger AnnChaser, at 10:04 PM, August 03, 2005  

  • I quite enjoy black beans and rice, and I like plantains. Though I have read about fried or mashed plantains accompanying black beans, I have not tried it, yet. I think "bistec" is Spanish for steak. Cafe Piquet sounds interesting, and I have been curious to try Maggiano's and grotto's.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:20 AM, August 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home