Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Monday, August 08, 2005

How Bad Is the Job Search Going?

This may be an indication of how poorly the job search is going. My mom has suggested that I begin looking for employment outside the legal field. “McDonald’s has high turnover among the burger flippers. They are bound to be hiring.” I jest. She did not really say that. My brother asked me when I was going to turn to a life of crime.

I had embarked upon my law school journey with the idea that the education it would provide (and the degree) would open a number of doors and would make me more marketable to employers in a number of industries, not just in the legal profession. However, after three years of schooling that was geared toward the practice of law, I would like to put to use the skills I gained. It appears, though, that it is time to investigate those other avenues. Crime is not one of those alternative avenues.

2 Comments:

  • So you have a law degree and you can't find work? That's depressing. Didn't you have to do an internship? Are you a lawyer, or a paralegal or something? I'm just wondering about the internship because two of my brother-in-laws are finishing their law degrees and one of them has been doing internships in California this summer.

    Anyway, thanks for your comments on my blog. It's devastating to not find work. Part of the problem is having a narrow search. Stoker, my husband, only has retail and call center experience. Jobs in those areas are numerous. Jobs in what I want to do are fewer and the employers are more selective. I haven't got any teaching experience, but that's what I want to do. And my small, American-made sense of entitlement says I should be entitled to teach because that's what I want.

    Anyway, that's not how it works. I don't deny that an employer is wise to pick a candidate with teaching experience. But I still think it sucks, because I'd be damn good at it. I was born to teach. And there are only a few things a person is born to do.

    So, good luck in finding a job. Thanks for your comments. It makes me feel better to know someone else (who is educated) is struggling too.

    By Blogger Aries327, at 10:58 AM, August 09, 2005  

  • If I hadn't been such a slacker in school, I would have placed in the top five percent of my class, and I would have been able to have held a clerkship during law school, at $1,000 a week, which would have led to a position as an associate after law school, at $100,000 a year. I jest. That is funny because I worked darn hard during law school.

    Actually, my sister is set to begin law school in about two weeks. I am urging her to try to secure a clerkship, so she can gain experience, which is valuable to employers. Clerkships also help a person discover in what areas he or she is or is not interested. Clerkships also lead to jobs after graduation. Maybe my sister can benefit from the lessons I learned.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:56 PM, August 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home