Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Monday, August 22, 2005

Italian Grandmothers

According to surfer short- and orange clog-clad celebrity chef Mario Batali, Italian grandmothers would never purée their tomatoes in a blender when making tomato sauce. As I crush tomatoes by hand, the only way Italian grandmothers do it, I wonder why matriarchs from this Mediterranean land have been so reluctant to embrace such technology as the blender, the food processor, or the food mill. I suppose I know the answer. Crushing tomatoes by hand results in an incomparable texture. Puréeing tomatoes produces tomato soup, which is probably not on the menu at Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca.

2 Comments:

  • I never blender tomatoes when I make tomato sauce either? I guess I could well be an Italian grandmother with grandchildren with tomato sauce smudged all over their face. Yes, my sauce is that good!!!

    By Blogger Astrid, at 12:22 AM, August 23, 2005  

  • Oh dear, I put my volcanic tomato sauce into the blender the other day. We have tomato sauce wrestling at our house though so the smoother the better I say.

    By Blogger Lesley, at 7:33 AM, August 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home