Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Sunday, August 14, 2005

New York Times Wedding Announcements/Epics

The New York Times wedding announcements are ridiculous. I do not so much as glimpse at them, but other individuals in my household, for their amusement, will occasionally peruse these book-length wedding notices. These absurd epics detail not only the curricula vitae of the brides and bride-grooms, but also those of the parents of the betrothed.

The announcements are quite humorous. Some excerpts from the sagas that recently were read aloud stated that the bride “will continue to use her name professionally.” In one such instance, the intended was a recent college graduate. Does her name have goodwill associated with it? Is she a sole proprietor of a recognized business? Is she incorporated under her name?

The proclomations become absurd when they fill an entire page, relate the life stories of the bride- and bride-groom-to-be, and are written by a professional writer whose name appears in the byline. When a housemate persisted in reading aloud one of these tomes, in its entirety, I had no option but to leave the room.

5 Comments:

  • I see your point. But the one I read about the Hindu couple was really good (I followed your link). That one deserved a whole story. Maybe the others are ridiculous, I didn't read them--probably their intentions are to make their love story beautiful and epic. But you don't need a newspaper article to do that, you just need a blog. Ha, just kidding. Anyway, my love story with Stoker feels epic by itself.

    Thanks for enlightening me about the absurd wedding announcements.

    By Blogger Aries327, at 5:22 PM, August 15, 2005  

  • I didn't even know what "curricula vitae" meant. I had to look it up.

    By Blogger Thomas, at 9:55 PM, August 15, 2005  

  • For once, I would like to read about a couple who are featured the New York Times wedding page to have met at a community college.

    By Blogger Thomas, at 9:58 PM, August 15, 2005  

  • I imagine the cost to place a wedding announcement in the NYT is quite steep. In addition, there is the expense of the professional writer.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 8:37 AM, August 17, 2005  

  • I have the daunting task of planning my daughter’s wedding coming up in just a few months. This is my only daughter so it’s my first wedding to plan since my own 25 years ago. My how the times have changed! Weddings have gotten so elaborate and expensive, from the wedding announcements, all the way to the reception which must have at least a DJ if not a live band! I’m just searching around to see what other’s experiences have been. My keyword research brought me to New York Times Wedding Announcements/Epics. I can appreciate your thoughts and comments. Every bit I read helps me feel a bit more educated and prepared.

    By Blogger Deb, at 1:23 PM, October 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home