Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Rip Van Winkle

I feel like Rip Van Winkle. In Washington Irving’s story, the protagonist, the eponymous Rip Van Winkle, wandered off into the Catskill Mountains and lied down to sleep. And sleep he did, for 20 years!

On this Sunday afternoon, I lied down at 2:00, thinking I would rest for a few minutes, maybe an hour, and then, when I rose from my nap, I would have some tea to sustain me through the rest of the afternoon. I woke up at 4:00. That was a lengthy siesta, for me. There went all my plans for the afternoon. I suppose I will have to start my novel tomorrow.

When I was in law school, I often thought that it would be nice to employ the Rip Van Winkle approach to school. The idea of lying down to sleep for a few weeks to awake just after final exams were finished seemed most appealing.

3 Comments:

  • And how do you think a tremendous beard would look on you? You could dye it any color!

    By Blogger Astrid, at 12:26 AM, August 23, 2005  

  • Doctors can induce comas. Maybe you should drop by a hospital someday and see what they can do for you. I'd like to go to sleep for a few months. It's not like I have an STi badge to guard, now is it?!

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 8:28 PM, August 27, 2005  

  • Yeah, that is incredibly infuriating that some scum would commit such sacrilege against your STi, against any STi, like that. Do the police have any suspects? Has the posse apprehended the offender?

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:11 AM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home