Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

To Law School, or Not to Law School

I have written a number of posts about my inability to find a job in the legal field, and my tone is less than upbeat. I have heard from a number of sources that the job market for attorneys is not strong. I hope it is just the market, and not me that is the reason I remain unemployed. A fellow alumnus of my alma mater said, “The market is just saturated with attorneys right now.” When I expressed these concerns to another alumnus, she said, “It’s the job market, it sucks! It is definitely not you.” I am beginning to believe that it is the market.

Given that law firms are not currently hiring new lawyers at a crazed pace, one might wonder whether this would be the time to embark upon a legal education. Had I to do it again, would I endure the three years of law school? Without question, I would.

I thought law school provided a wonderful education. It teaches one to read and to think critically. Some might dispute that it improves one’s writing ability, but lawyers and law students work with words frequently; lawyers are wordsmiths; it cannot hurt one’s writing. Law school teaches one to formulate an argument and to support one’s position. The material and courses were interesting, to me. A law school education offers a wide range of career options, in terms of practice areas and work environments. Law school provides a broad education that opens many doors, and not just in the legal field – it develops skills that are applicable anywhere. Lawyers are problem solvers, negotiators, counselors, and advocates. One student is of the opinion that it teaches survival skills – one learns to work with people who will smile at you, but would just as soon stab you in your back. I do not know that I would go that far. There will always be a demand for lawyers. Or so I thought. Some people might offer conflicting advice or have a contrary opinion, but I have no regrets about the decision to attend law school.

7 Comments:

  • have you expanded your job search beyond firms? i know of j.d.s that work for nonprofits, state agencies, lobbyists, etc. and sometimes that stuff can be more rewarding than working 80 hours a week as an underappreciated associate at some big, corporate firm. or go out on your own!

    but you might not want to listen to me. my goal after law school is to work for legal aid or a civil rights organization and make, well, just about the same salary as i did in social work.

    By Blogger red.hot.mamma!, at 7:03 PM, August 03, 2005  

  • If at first you don't succeed... try, try again.

    You'll find a way.

    By Blogger Lesley, at 4:22 AM, August 04, 2005  

  • Having finally put an end to my post-grad school 9 month job hunt recently, I can assure you that it is more than likely the job market.

    Chin up. Erm... Champ!

    By Blogger Huw, at 6:24 AM, August 04, 2005  

  • It's never the wrong thing to do if you really wanted to do it. I don't like people going into law school (to use your example) because their parents are lawyers or because they want to make a lot of money. It sounds like your reasons were personal, which is fine.

    Blame Bush. Why not?

    By Blogger Greg, at 2:42 PM, August 04, 2005  

  • study some shark books! I have an MBA and out of job for 2 years! good luck.

    By Blogger roya parsay, at 4:16 PM, August 04, 2005  

  • I hope that you find a job in your chosen feild.

    By Blogger Dena, at 7:51 PM, August 04, 2005  

  • you should become a writer, like sebastian junger.

    i've been thinking--i've been out of law school for about 3 years and i just have this feeling that law is so bland. i mean sure, it touches everything and whenever people are involved, there's bound to be some real crazy stuff going down. but i mean bland, in that it's all about processing other people's lives and their choices. where's the ME in that? i have begun to have a problem with being someone else's "agent"...

    i know i'm off topic. but these are my own legal thoughts as of late...

    By Blogger AnnChaser, at 12:28 AM, August 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home