Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Monday, September 05, 2005

Justice William Hubbs Rehnquist

Among Supreme Court Justices, there are not any members of the Nation’s highest court whom I despise or whom I favor above the others. I regard with equally high esteem any individual who serves on the United States Supreme Court. I do enjoy reading Justice Benjamin Cardozo’s opinions, though. I likewise revered Justice Rehnquist merely because he was a Supreme Court Justice.

Justice William H. Rehnquist was rather conservative. “Conservative” in the case of Justice Rehnquist definitely meant reluctant to accept change. He was a strong defender of states’ rights, which, by itself, does not entail that one leans to the far right. However, Justice Rehnquist voted consistently against affirmative action; he opposed desegregation, dissenting in cases upholding the use of busing to integrate public schools, and was the sole dissenter in a case that upheld the federal government’s policy of denying a tax deduction for Bob Jones University because of its racist policies. Justice Rehnquist opposed increased rights for women and immigrants. He argued against the notion that the Constitution demands separation between church and state. These positions cannot have a sound basis in the Constitution. Rather, these views represented the status quo.

Justice Rehnquist is described as brilliant and as having possessed a superior intellect and an “iron grip on precedent and case law,” according to James Swanson, a legal scholar at the Heritage Foundation’s Center for Legal and Judicial Studies. Justice Rehnquist was blessed with a “dazzling intellect,” said Herman Schwartz, an American University law professor. To people who knew him, Justice Rehnquist was “charming.”

2 Comments:

  • I read in Bob Woodward's book "The Brethren" that Rehnquist would take the time to learn the names of the people who worked in the Supreme Court building when the other justices wouldn't necessarily do this. People like security guards and cleaning personnel.

    I admired that.

    By Blogger Thomas, at 12:24 PM, September 05, 2005  

  • I go to the extra trouble of making sure everyone knows my name. I thought about having my name monogrammed on all my shirts but I prefer just yelling at people.

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 8:40 AM, September 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home