Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Friday, September 30, 2005

Sur La Table Free Cuisinart Freezer Bowl Scam

I have plans to make two different frozen desserts in rapid succession this weekend – a chocolate gelato and a lemon frozen yogurt. A second cylinder for the Cuisinart® Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker would be most useful right now. In fact, I should have in my possession a second Cuisinart freezer bowl, because I mailed in my rebate coupon, UPC, and original cash register receipt in accordance with the Sur La Table “Free”[1] Cuisinart Freezer Bowl offer. Delivery was to take eight to ten weeks. I placed my rebate materials in the mail on June 23, as noted on my Outlook calendar. Fifteen weeks later, the second ice cream cylinder has yet to arrive.

When I called to check the status of my Sur La Table “Free” Cuisinart Freezer Bowl, the Express Group employee informed me that I had qualified for the rebate on June 10, but that my rebate was still “processing.” She could not tell me when it would ship, but she did assure me that it would ship. I suspect that Sur La Table, Cuisinart, and Express Group, are running a swindle. They entice consumers to purchase the Cuisinart® Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker by offering an additional “free” freezer cylinder (that did not induce me to buy the ice cream maker, though). If the buyers bother to mail in the rebate, the retailers or manufacturers do not mail the freezer bowl, in hopes that the consumers will forget about it or not bother to pursue it. Maybe since I have inquired further, my “free” freezer bowl will be forthcoming.

Where is my promised second ice cream cylinder?


[1] Nothing is really “free.” There is always something one must do to receive something that is “free.” I had to buy the Cuisinart® Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker to receive the “free” second freezer bowl. If it were truly free, it would have arrived on my doorstep without me having done anything. Of course, it would have been largely useless to me, without a Cuisinart® Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker in which to use it.

2 Comments:

  • All signs point to scam. Eight to ten weeks is quite a long time. I think research has shown that most Americans forget about rebates between seven and nine weeks. I don't even remember what I was doing eight to ten weeks ago.

    After looking at a calendar it seems that during that two week span nothing actually happened.

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 10:03 PM, September 30, 2005  

  • Oooh a man who likes to make icecream! Sorry I know this post was really about the scam but... I bet you have women beating down your door.

    By Blogger Lesley, at 7:05 AM, October 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home