Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Monday, September 05, 2005

What Is a Consumer to Do?

Apparently, I have been consuming all the wrong organic foods, and not consuming the fruits and vegetables where organic is more important. In an August 31 New York Times article, “Clean, Green and Organic, in the Middle of the City,” about bringing “green” practices into the home kitchen, Julie Besonen and Andrea Kannapell write,

The top 12 fruits and vegetables most heavily sprayed with pesticides are peaches, strawberries, apples, nectarines, pears, cherries, red raspberries, imported grapes, bell peppers, celery, potatoes and spinach. Our feeling is that these are the most important to buy organic. Ranking lower in contaminants, and thus less crucial to buy organic, are asparagus, avocados, bananas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet corn, kiwis, mangos, onions, papaya, pineapples and sweet peas.


I have been buying organic bananas, onions, sweet peas, broccoli, and avocados. These are readily available. I am also able to come by organic apples, celery, potatoes, and spinach. Who has seen organic peaches, nectarines, cherries, or raspberries, though? Whole Foods carries some of these items – Whole Foods carries organic everything. Whole Foods also carries expensive everything. As consumers, we do not know whether we are coming or going!

4 Comments:

  • I know, it sucks. That's really funny how you're buying organic stuff that, in their opinion, is less important to buy organic. Irony is beautiful.

    Anyway, forget about it. We're all going to die of cancer regardless (it seems) of anything we do.

    OOORRRRRR, you can find a farmer's market to purchase all your fruit and vegetables from. Do they have those there?

    By Blogger Aries327, at 7:12 PM, September 05, 2005  

  • I usually get organic carrots & I didn't see them on this list. But I could be overlooking them. I AM a little bit drunkedy right now - I had more than my usual 2 margaritas this evening. I'M NOT AN ALKYHOLIC!

    I wish I wasn't poor & could buy more organic. I ALWAYS buy organic milk without even thinking about the extra cost. And after I saw that segment in the movie "The Corporation," I don't think I'll ever drink non-organic milk again! But I guess that means I should only buy organic cheese & other dairy too. Damn! I just can't win.

    By Blogger red.hot.mamma!, at 9:08 PM, September 05, 2005  

  • There are some farmers markets in Houston and some of the outlying areas. On Saturday mornings, at a couple of locations in Houston, there are some markets that have received quite a bit of attention.

    I have read that it is particularly important to consume organic carrots, because carrots are treated with chemicals rather extensively. I always buy organic milk and cage-free eggs, too. I like the Smart Chicken® chickens, also, http://www.smartchicken.com/.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:48 AM, September 06, 2005  

  • I am sure even the glorious Albert Heijn doesn't sell organic peaches, nectarines, cherries, or raspberries, but I am sometimes really surprised by what organic products we do sell, like organic spaghetti.

    By Blogger Astrid, at 8:51 AM, September 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home