Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Start of Something New

I am starting work to day at a law firm to which I did not even submit my résumé. Someone else, to whom I am very grateful, put in a good word for me. I would prefer a job where I would be working for the good guys, but, when the machinery of the State is in motion against a person, even the bad guys need representation. A criminal defender does not have to try to get a guilty person off the hook on a technicality, but it is important to ensure that the State follows the rules and that the offender’s rights are not violated.

Most importantly, the opportunity will provide invaluable experience. They have promised me that I will learn to practice law and that I will know how to run a law office after working there. I will learn more from this group than I would learn at a district attorney’s office, they said. First, I will start with making coffee. I jest. They came across as being quite professional and they seem to be a close-knit bunch, and there will not be politics involved. I was impressed after visiting with them.

I am looking forward to it. Receiving a paycheck, meager though it may be, will be nice, also. I will probably notice a marked reduction in the amount of free time, but I hope that the work will be enjoyable enough that I will not miss it. At least there will not be a dreaded final exam at the end of the semester.

8 Comments:

  • Hey that's brilliant news!! I'm really chuffed for you. Wishing you lots of luck for your first day.

    By Blogger Lesley, at 5:05 AM, October 12, 2005  

  • Hey Matt - now you have to watch what you write on here because you can get fired for it - AND - don't send anything bad on your work computer email or what-not. We learned about that in class the other day...

    Also, I want to move to England because they use better words than us. I'm serious. I'm just going to start using them - I know enough from Harry Potter and Harry Potter fan fiction and my friends who date English blokes. Let's move. To get away from Bush. He was working for Habitat for Humanity the other day. What a relief!

    Also, I got a CD on civil procedure yesterday, if you want me to burn you a copy for your commute so you can learn to get criminals off on technicalities, let me know. Jk - do you want it? I mean, Jk, I don't illegaly copy CDs, but I can give you the name of it so you can buy it...or you can listen when I'm done...I guess I can copy them illegally since you can defend me in court now. All right, good luck today!!!!

    By Blogger Katherine, at 5:50 AM, October 12, 2005  

  • congrats on employment, matthew!

    By Blogger kari, at 11:03 AM, October 12, 2005  

  • yay!!! high five, you stud! You have a job now!!

    By Blogger Ashley, at 5:38 PM, October 12, 2005  

  • Congrats! I'm chuffed, too, though I don't know what that means. But it sounds awesome. I'd just say no to those CivPro cd's. If that doesn't cause road rage, I don't know what will!

    By Blogger red.hot.mamma!, at 9:11 PM, October 12, 2005  

  • Thanks, all, for the congratulations. I don't think I need the Civil Procedure CD, Katherine, but thanks. Hal has given me a Sigur Rós CD to which he wants me to listen.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:32 AM, October 13, 2005  

  • Hey, I got the new Civil Procedure album too! I think "Chuffed" was their debut album, right?

    Oh, and congratulations on the job. Does this mean you can pay me back all that money you don't remember me loaning to you?

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 10:53 AM, October 13, 2005  

  • Well, obviously they didn't hold the haircut against you. Congrats.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 9:25 PM, October 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home