Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Monday, October 10, 2005

To Interview Follow-Up Letter, or Not To Interview Follow-Up Letter

Following an interview, should the interviewee write a letter to the interviewer, expressing thanks for the opportunity to meet with interviewer and stating the interviewee’s interest in the position and the organization? The conventional wisdom holds that one should write an interview follow-up letter.

H. Anthony Medley, author of Sweaty Palms: The Neglected Art of Being Interviewed, advises against writing interview follow-up letters. Mr. Medley boasts, “while I’ve conducted thousands of interviews… most of the other writers of books on the interview don’t claim to have conducted as many as one!” He explains,

The vast majority of selection interviewers don’t want to be conducting interviews because it interferes with their job. So anything connected with filling the position is a royal pain, and the biggest part of that pain is having to interview prospects…. After the interview is over, the last thing they want is to receive a letter from an interviewee.[1]

[Emphasis added.] That’s all the convincing I needed.

[1] I wonder whether other interviewers are aware of this.

2 Comments:

  • I'm all about not writing the stupid thank you letters. If I were an employer, I'd think, "Whatever, kissass." And the person who doesn't write one? I'd think, "Whoa! Now maybe there's something special about this one. They're so in-demand that they don't have to bother with the letter." Or maybe they'll think I'm an ingrate. But last spring I interviewed with 5 or 6 different legal nonprofits & didn't write a single letter. And I got 4 offers. Of course, that was working for free, soooo...

    By Blogger red.hot.mamma!, at 9:05 PM, October 12, 2005  

  • Hey, I offered to work for free for some organizations, but they did not accept my offers.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:30 AM, October 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home