Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Where’s the Beef (Bones)?

My sister has expressed a desire for beef Stroganoff. We have the tail end of a beef tenderloin that I have been holding in the freezer for just this purpose. We have mushrooms, onions, and egg noodles. An integral ingredient that we are lacking is beef stock, for the sauce. Canned beef stock is unacceptable; it must be homemade, of course. The plot thickens: I am experiencing difficulty obtaining beef bones for the stock. HEB, Kroger, and a local little meat market have not had beef bones for making stock. They sell beef. Where are they finding these cattle with no bones? Obviously, they are not butchering whole cattle in their meat departments, so I suppose it is understandable that they do not have a full array of animal products. The meat department employees at HEB and Kroger are only cutting the primal cuts into market cuts, so they do not have beef knuckles or beef shin bones.

There may be hope yet for my sister! I have an appointment that will take me into Houston tomorrow. There are Whole Foods Markets in Houston, one of which I will have an opportunity to visit! I have seen beef bones in the meat department at Whole Foods. We just may be enjoying beef Stroganoff, soon.

3 Comments:

  • I don't eat beef, but I have seen it made. Just get a can of beef stock (or even vegetable broth), some cheap cognac and some sherry (I use Dry Sack) and mix it together, bring to a boil, then cut the heat before you add the sour cream. The booze is key. I have made vegetarian mushroom stroganoff this way (about 6 years ago) and I recall it was really good.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 2:21 PM, October 06, 2005  

  • Thanks for the suggestion. If Whole Foods does not have collagen fibers and calcium phosphate from bovines, I will try the vegetarian Stroganoff. Just don't tell my sister>.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 5:17 PM, October 06, 2005  

  • Whole Foods had beef marrow bones!

    By Blogger Matthew, at 2:28 PM, October 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home