Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Monday, November 28, 2005

Casserole

My dad is fond of casseroles – the cooked dish, not the cooking pot. He relishes “concoctions,” as he terms them, of rice, meat (frequently cooked chicken, the more processed, the better) and unmentionable ingredients (frequently condensed soups from cans) that he mixes together and sets to cook until something bad happens. (The cleanup never falls upon him.) A favorite “concoction” of his consists of the leftovers of the leftovers from Thanksgiving – what remains after we have made several meals from the feast on the Fourth Thursday of November. Everything from Thanksgiving dinner (save cranberry sauce, which he will not touch), and then some, goes into this “casserole.” Into a casserole – the cooking pot, not the cooked dish – go the last pieces of the turkey meat, gravy, dressing, mashed potatoes, carrots, celery, peas, and turkey stock (made by me, from the roasted turkey carcass). The result is, well, in this case, the whole is not greater than the sum of the parts.

Please, sir, may I have some more?

5 Comments:

  • I took some stuffing home with me as it's my very favorite component of the holiday meal. However, it looks sweaty and leftover in my fridge, so I think I am going to throw it out.

    The very idea of a thanksgiving leftover casserole makes my stomach hurt.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 4:27 AM, November 28, 2005  

  • MMMMMM, Casserole! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

    Personally, I prefer leftover turkey sandwiches. Unfortunately, we had no mayonnaise, so I couldn't have any this year.

    By Blogger Steve, at 5:55 AM, November 28, 2005  

  • hehehe you got off free this time -- the turkey "stew" apparently made its way to the fridge here. i passed it up and made pasta.

    By Blogger Katherine, at 5:13 PM, November 28, 2005  

  • We have the leftover turkey problem after Christmas day in the UK.

    If the custom in America is to eat turkey for Thanksgiving what do you eat on Christmas day?

    By Blogger Lesley, at 5:35 AM, November 29, 2005  

  • some people do turkey and all the trimmings again - or they do ham instead or in addition...i think we did something like roast last year. right, matt? and we're doing mexican food this year...or was that just talk, matt?

    By Blogger Katherine, at 3:54 PM, November 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home