Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Friday, November 04, 2005

Exercising My Right, Doing My Patriotic Duty

I escaped from work long enough to early vote on Wednesday. Participating in our democracy is fun. The only matters on the ballot were nine proposed amendments to the Texas Constitution. The ladies at the polling place informed me that voting on candidates would occur later.

Some of the proposed amendments sounded innocuous, but I voted against most of them. I did not trust that the politicians that conceived of the legislation did not have self-serving, ulterior motives. I definitely voted against Proposition 2, “The constitutional amendment providing that marriage in this state consists only of the union of one man and one woman and prohibiting this state or a political subdivision of this state from creating or recognizing any legal status identical or similar to marriage.”

Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, likened the proposed amendment to the Jim Crow laws written by Texas senators decades ago to discriminate against blacks. “At least they had the good sense to never write their bigotry into the state constitution,” Ellis said. “In some of our sister states, they did write that trash into their constitution, and they’ve had holy H getting it out.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home