Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Promoting Global Warming and Traffic Congestion

I contributed to traffic congestion and air pollution yesterday. I joined the ranks of those single occupants of personal automobiles who clog I-45 on their daily commutes to work. Only, I was not commuting to work. A coworker called me on Tuesday night to inform me, “You’re going to Houston tomorrow!” I had to be in Harris County County Criminal Court at Law Number Five at 8:30 for an arraignment. I could have ridden the bus in. However, I also had to return to the office afterwards. (Alas, I did not have the rest of the day off.) A bus did not return to the outer reaches of the suburban region surrounding Houston until 1:00, so mass transit was not an option.

If the fourth largest city in the United States were not such a slouch in developing alternatives to putting every person in a single car to pack the roadways, perhaps I could have caught a light rail train into Houston, and caught a train back out to Montgomery County, such train conceivably making hourly (at most) trips.

I will submit to my employer a request for mileage reimbursement at the $0.405 per mile rate.

3 Comments:

  • Consider lobbying the Houston-Galveston Area Council (HGAC), the mayor, the state, and the feds to start putting in a rail system where the HOV lanes exist.

    You never know...

    By Blogger Ashley, at 4:27 AM, November 04, 2005  

  • I run into the same thing here in Dallas. Hard to catch a bus home in the middle of the day. Hey, but by the time I retire, they'll have the rail all the way out to my town!

    By Blogger Ivy the Goober, at 4:43 AM, November 06, 2005  

  • That's pretty cool. You'll just have to continue riding the rail, after you retire. I was impressed with DART when I was in Dallas in February. It puts Houston to shame.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 7:23 AM, November 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home