Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

An Alternative to the Shopping Season

Last year, near the holiday season, I informed my brother and sister, via e-mail,

“Mom and Dad are giving [Aunt] Paula a goat for Christmas. Haha!”

Katherine replied, “a goat? huh?” Hal’s response was, “Wha?”

My dad comes from a family of seven children, and he has a sizeable extended family. The unenviable task of purchasing and mailing gifts for this group often falls upon my mom. As an alternative to the frenzied gift buying that retailers promote, and to spare my mom the labor of seeking out gifts that are generally unappreciated, my parents decided last year to make donations, in the names of the gift recipients, to a charitable organization. They selected Heifer International. Heifer is an organization that “promotes sustainable solutions to global hunger, poverty and environmental degradation.” It achieves this goal by providing domestic animals to agrarian peoples, who rely on the animals to support themselves. A donation of $120 will purchase a goat; $30 will provide a gift of honeybees There are numerous other animals Heifer supplies.

I thought a donation to a charity was a splendid idea. It goes to a worthy cause; the person in whose name to donation is made does not receive cookies or chocolate that will ruin his or her diet; my mom does not have to spend her time in the mall selecting gifts that the recipients do not want; Aunt Paula cannot complain to my mom that the bulbs arrived frozen.

Katherine was disappointed when there was not a goat or a flock of chicks for her on Christmas morning.

4 Comments:

  • I got Katherine a box of live bats. Think she'll like them?

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 10:31 AM, December 21, 2005  

  • I want to spend Christmas with your family instead of my family. Not only would I be entertained by Hal, I am quite confident that I would get a much better meal at your place.

    What time is dinner, anyways?

    By Blogger Ashley, at 7:09 PM, December 21, 2005  

  • Provided none of those bats is rabid, I am certain that Katherine will be thrilled with a box of live bats.

    I would speculate that dinner will be on the table in the early afternoon. I'm not sure what we are having, but Mom was wanting to have a beef roast, possibly a standing rib roast. She also ordered some tamales from Hugo's to eat on the Eve of Christmas.

    I heard on NPR that the average pound a year that Americans gain is gained during the Holiday Season.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:09 AM, December 22, 2005  

  • Haha that's like on Seinfeld, when George is too cheap to buy everyone a gift so he donates a fake $100 to a made up charity. "The Human Fund." lol.

    By Blogger Allyson, at 10:40 AM, December 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home