Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Friday, December 09, 2005

The Difference between Family Law and Criminal Law

One distinction between family law and criminal law is that, typically, no one goes to jail in family law matters. I am going to Houston today for an uncontested divorce. Another attorney in the office has done all the work, but she has a conflict, so I am appearing with the client before the judge. We just have to show that the client has resided in Harris County for the last ninety days, that the client has resided in Texas for the previous six months, and that “the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities that destroys the legitimate ends of the marital relationship and prevents any reasonable expectation of reconciliation.” The judge will then grant the divorce. No one will go to jail.

5 Comments:

  • You make it sound so easy. I attempted to do my divorce on my own. I figured since my husband signed the waiver and he and I had things worked out on a marital settlement agreement, it would get approved, and that's that. Judge said no, now I'm hiring a lawyer who wants a $3000 retainer. Which of course now means hubby has to hire someone too. Forgive me if I say why can't we do this without making two lawyers rich off the deal? (I know, not RICH, but this shouldn't cost me so much, ya know?)

    By Blogger Ivy the Goober, at 4:03 AM, December 09, 2005  

  • I did my own divorce. It was pretty easy but a little stressed filled. I can't imagine dealing with divorcing people on a daily basis. How much stress is that?!

    By Blogger Crazy Me, at 5:50 AM, December 09, 2005  

  • Most of the people I have heard of that do only family law or primarily family law are very unhappy people. They have to live with the baggage of so many people day in and day out. I would bet that it's a wonderful day (so to speak) for the divorce lawyer who gets to handle a no-fault divorce.

    By Blogger Steve, at 7:43 AM, December 09, 2005  

  • I hope I never have to go through with a divorce. Or a marriage, for that matter.

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 5:36 PM, December 09, 2005  

  • Good idea, Hal.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 4:29 PM, December 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home