Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Friday, December 02, 2005

Neckties

Neckties are funny. What purpose do they serve? I should not remark on it, lest I jinx myself, but my skill at tying ties is improving.

John Lienhard (pronounced “Lean-hard”), of the University of Houston, in his fascinating radio program, The Engines of Our Ingenuity, episode No. 1107, remarked on the air of formality that surrounds the engineering field. “I’m probably the last dinosaur who still wears a necktie to teach classes. I do it to honor the process – like going to church. That necktie doesn’t make me a better teacher or a more devout worshiper. It merely says I’m doing something I value.”

5 Comments:

  • You can blame neckties first on the Croatians (hence the term cravat), and then the French, notably, the Sun King (I believe). If not for these groups, there's be nothing in necktiedom for us to wear.

    By Blogger Steve, at 4:51 AM, December 02, 2005  

  • And if you mean a tie in general, it developed as a bib of sorts, to protect men's shirts from food when they were eating. And now it's something entirely different. At least, that's what I heard. It might be a 'myth'(to be completely daft). Though I'm a folklorist, I don't have the time or the energy to look it up.

    By Blogger Aries327, at 11:57 AM, December 02, 2005  

  • My theory is that it's designed to cut off the flow of oxygen to your brain so you're less likely to question "the man" and think for yourself. That's why "the man" prefers to keep that glass ceiling over women - without the neckties it's harder to control us...and, you know, we're so "emotional."

    By Blogger red.hot.mamma!, at 8:54 PM, December 02, 2005  

  • I think the purpose of neckties are to express yourself. It's hard for men to express themselves through their shirt and pants...they're all pretty similar. But neckties are different. They come in all patterns, shapes, and sizes, and the type of necktie you wear says a lot about who you are as a person. Are you traditional and modest, with a simple pattern? Are you loud and cheesy, with the piano key necktie? are you subtly funny, wiht the necktie that looks like a simple pattern until, when you look at it closely, you realize it's actually a series of teeny tiny winnie the poohs???

    By Blogger Rach, at 11:10 PM, December 02, 2005  

  • Rach, it's not about the pants, it's about what's in the pants.

    Oh, and I made a tie out of legal paper for the company holiday party. What does that say about the kind of person I am?

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 2:33 PM, December 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home