Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Monday, January 16, 2006

Consistently Pleased

On Saturday, I had lunch with my brother, sister, and a friend at Hugo’s. I do not dine out very frequently, but I continue to return to Hugo’s, for its “regional Mexican cuisine.” I am consistently pleased with Hugo’s. I always feel like I receive a good value for my money. The chile en nogada – a roasted, peeled poblano stuffed with carnitas and dried fruit, covered in a walnut sauce, and adorned with pomegranate seeds, representing the colors of the Mexican flag – was immaculate. The coffee ice cream that accompanied the chocolate cake with chipotle chile was the best coffee ice cream I have ever tasted.

Foregoing dessert at Hugo’s is forbidden. At Hugo’s, they make their own chocolate. Mexican chocolate is made from cocoa beans combined with sugar, cinnamon, nuts, and vanilla. It is “grainy” and less smooth than chocolate to which North Americans and Europeans are accustomed. Hugo’s hot cocoa, or chocolate caliente, is divine. I was speaking with a manager who stopped by our table about the homemade chocolate that they use in their desserts and some beverages. He said that they import cocoa beans from Mexico, which they then roast. They recently received shipment of a new grinder that will go through forty pounds of beans in five minutes. The aroma that fills the restaurant when the beans are grinding is incredible, he said. They then add the sugar, spices, and other ingredients. I inquired whether they offer their chocolate for sale, to which he replied in the affirmative. When we were completing our meal, I mentioned to the waitress that I was interested in purchasing some of the chocolate. Shortly thereafter, she brought out a tablet of homemade Mexican chocolate that I later determined weighed over eight ounces. Even cooler than being able to buy Mexican chocolate made at Hugo’s - the waitress informed me that there was no charge for it! I wouldn’t exactly call it “free,” considering that we paid about $30 per person. I’m trying to determine when next I can make a trip to Hugo’s.

7 Comments:

  • You are killing me. I am craving Hugos. It's a 3 hour drive for me to go there. Ugh.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 6:03 AM, January 16, 2006  

  • Three hours? I will stop complaining about my one-hour trek, then. Thirty minutes if my brother (the infrequent blogger) is driving. Next time you are in Houston, you must go to Hugo's.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 6:20 PM, January 16, 2006  

  • mexican chocolate. interesting.

    By Blogger joey♥, at 3:52 PM, January 17, 2006  

  • How far away is it from Hobby?

    By Blogger English Professor, at 7:26 PM, January 17, 2006  

  • Matt, let's go there for lunch today. Ashley, we'll tell you all about it when we get back.

    Hugo's is probably less than a 30 minute drive from Hobby.

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 7:36 AM, January 18, 2006  

  • Hi Matthew! This is Thomas' sister again. Just wondering if you've been to Cafe Piquet over on Bissonnet. Their bistec empanizado is fantastic and yeah, it comes with beans and rice with plantains.

    What sucks about Seattle is that they don't have a Cuban restaurant as far as I can tell. Lots of Thai places though.

    But as for Hugo's--yeah, I liked it the two times I went there too. Very nice decor and lighting.

    By Blogger AnnChaser, at 12:31 AM, January 19, 2006  

  • Still have not made it to Cafe Piquet Houston. Bellaire is a long haul from The Woodlands, but I would like to make my way down there eventually.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:55 AM, January 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home