Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Dress the Part

On Monday, the Montgomery County Courthouse and DA’s office were closed, along with other government buildings, in observance of MLK Day. Our office was not closed, though. As I anticipated they would, everyone used this as a casual day, wearing jeans to work. Nonetheless, I wore a sport coat, a tie, and slacks. There is an attorney who practices in Conroe who is a sharp dresser. This attorney remarked that, unlike many attorneys in Conroe, he will wear a suit even if he is not going to be in court, because he wants to dress the part of an attorney, to create a positive impression with clients or potential clients. He would like for people to be able to look at him and identify him as an attorney by his attire, he explained. Even though I know next to nothing about the practice of law – I am learning, though – I can dress the part. If I were a client, I would prefer that my attorney wear a suit. I have not been impressed when I have entered a law office and observed the receptionist and other support staff wearing jeans. I wouldn’t wear a coat and tie around the house, but more formal attire really isn’t that uncomfortable. In part, I also just wanted to wear my new slacks.

12 Comments:

  • Sounds like a con to me.

    By Blogger hal the brown, at 7:31 AM, January 18, 2006  

  • are you a lawyer?

    By Blogger joey♥, at 2:06 PM, January 18, 2006  

  • Yes, I am a lawyer - a "baby" lawyer, I suppose, having only been licensed for about eight months. I am short on experience, but an experienced attorney has kindly taken me on and is teaching me to practice law.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 5:32 PM, January 18, 2006  

  • Matthew,
    Do y'all do Family law at your firm at all? If so, I might have a referral for y'all.

    By Blogger Steve, at 7:21 PM, January 18, 2006  

  • Yes, although the practice consists largely of criminal defense, there is a capable attorney and an experienced paralegal who handle family law matters.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 2:58 AM, January 19, 2006  

  • I think you're very sensible and I bet you look great!

    By Blogger Lesley, at 3:22 AM, January 19, 2006  

  • Some fashion advice - search eBay for expensive suits. C is quite the skinny man, and he was the winning bid of $350 for an Armani runway sample suit (I think no one could fit into the suit but him). It's badass and worth about $2000+.

    Once you start billing $600+ per hour (and you are a partner), you can start dressing like an eccentric slob. I often meet with a senior partner from a very prestigious, Houston law firm. We (me and other female colleagues) desperately want to buy the woman some hosiery and compell her to wear them with her Chanel mini-skirts.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 5:08 AM, January 19, 2006  

  • If you could, would you mind e-mailing me your firm's contact information? I can give you some details in e-mail - sphouch@yahoo.com

    thanks

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:02 AM, January 19, 2006  

  • I love it when guys dress up, anyway. So yeah--forget casual friday!

    And just to clarify: sometimes it can be a little more uncomfortable for a woman to dress up. You try walking in heels for 5 blocks or more! Not fun.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 9:30 AM, January 19, 2006  

  • Conroe - my old stomping grounds. :)

    Of course you probably hadn't been born yet!

    By Blogger Ivy the Goober, at 2:08 PM, January 20, 2006  

  • You hail from Conroe? Cool! Conroe is not half bad. A blogger from Conroe argues as much.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 7:40 PM, January 20, 2006  

  • Wear the professional clothes--it will make you feel better. Did you ever see F. Lee Bailey in blue jeans?

    By Blogger English Professor, at 8:32 PM, January 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home