Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Store-Bought Will Work

Instead of buying beer this weekend, I had resolved to invest in the hardware for home brewing. I already have a large pot; the most significant purchases would have been a couple of fermenters – big seven-gallon or so glass bottles, essentially – and a few dozen beer bottles. The software would have included grain, hops, and yeast. There is a brewing supply store not too far from where I live that sells the supplies and “starter” kits. However, my “landlord” nixed that plan. She said we have enough clutter as it is, and that I would have to wait until I have my own house. I have a savings account set up for that eventual purchase. I went and bought a case of Negra Modelo, instead.

4 Comments:

  • I love that stuff. I brought some of it to a party once where almost everyone else was bringing a bottle of wine. That beer vanished in a flash! I only got one!

    By Blogger Ivy the Goober, at 7:04 AM, February 05, 2006  

  • Had a roommate that used to brew with his brother (at his brother's home). It takes up a lot of space and you have to have somewhere to store all those bottles while you wait for it to ferment (as we lost the use of our front closet for a month). But the results were worth it! Yum.

    By Blogger Kirsten, at 12:15 PM, February 06, 2006  

  • I've known a couple people who have bought Mr. Beer or other home breweries. I've never had it myself, so I can't testify as to the quality.

    I'll stick to my Canadian Beer, myself.

    By Blogger Steve, at 5:06 PM, February 06, 2006  

  • Homebrew is the way to go. I did it a lot more before marriage, but it is fun. There is/was a new shop near Rayford Sawdust that carries supplies.

    The best company www.stpats.com (Austin based)no longer deals with small fry like us.

    DeFalco's (I think)is in Houston and there is also a brew shop on Kuykendahl and 1960. It is well worth the rewards.

    By Blogger Thomas Vickers, at 1:36 PM, February 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home