Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Bad Analogy

Recently, I was conversing with someone about the Texas primary elections. I abstained from voting, because I did not want to disqualify myself from lending my signature to Kinky Friedman’s petition to be on the ballot for governor as an independent. I mentioned some of Kinky’s positions, which are generally humorous. One of these was his opinion regarding same-sex marriage. Kinky supports gay marriage and equal rights for homosexuals, and says, “they have a right to be as miserable as the rest of us.” Apparently, the person with whom I was holding this conversation was one of the close-minded people who is opposed to gay marriage. In support of her position that it is “unnatural,” for people of the same gender to have an intimate relationship, she put forth that giraffes and zebras don’t couple. I did not pursue the matter further, as it is not worth having a discussion with someone who uses such illogic to rationalize his or her biases. Efforts to enlighten her would have been pointless.

5 Comments:

  • well of course giraffes and zebras don't couple... they're not the same species, what does that have to do with same sex marriage? Unless she meant that female giraffes don't couple with female zebras and male giraffes don't couple with male zebras... what a ridiculous conversation.

    By Blogger Cassie, at 6:52 AM, March 11, 2006  

  • I mentioned some of Kinky’s positions

    no, i'm pretty sure i would have remembered that. :)

    By Blogger heatherfeather, at 11:47 AM, March 11, 2006  

  • I never understood the whole "It's unnatural" argument. What is natural? Many mammals don't practice monogamy, including many human societies, yet we claim that it's natural to have one spouse.

    The unnatural arguemnt seems to be a fallback when a person can't think of a better defense of their position. I'd almost prefer it if they'd simply say "it's gross," because then they're being more honest about how they really feel.

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:34 AM, March 12, 2006  

  • Well they don't.

    By Blogger Thomas, at 11:18 PM, March 13, 2006  

  • yeah why don't people just come out and say "hey, that trips me out." or "hey, I'm homophobic." or "it's gross." It's nothing new and it's nothing unique to humans. get over it.

    By Blogger Drew, at 10:19 PM, March 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home