Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Japanese Taxis

I had a conversation last weekend with a lady from Japan who owns a tea boutique. I learned that, in Japan, when one calls from a drinking establishment for a taxicab, the cab arrives with two drivers. One of the cab drivers operates the car in which the fare rides, and the other driver operates the patron’s car, following along to the fare’s destination. This reduces the incidence of driving while intoxicated, as imbibers are not faced with the inconvenience of abandoning their cars for which they must later return. I also understand that the cost for a taxi in Japan is considerably higher than elsewhere. I am not certain that I have all the facts correct, but this seems like a good idea. I don’t know what effect this would have on people’s decision not to get behind the wheel after having a few too many drinks. It may be attributable to my practice area, but I have the impression that driving while intoxicated is a common occurrence.

2 Comments:

  • I once went to a bar in Vancouver BC (Cecil's, if Thomas ever decides he wants to take a trip up to the Great White North). At the door, they had a breathalyzer machine. I thought it mightn't be a bad idea to have one of those at a bar, and make the patrons turn their keys in when they arive, only getting them back if they blow low enough on the machine that they don't qualify as under the influence.

    I doubt anyone would go for that, especially here, but it's an idea.

    By Blogger Steve, at 5:53 AM, March 14, 2006  

  • Good idea, Steve.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 7:17 PM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home