Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Monday, March 27, 2006

Texas 1015’s

Texas 1015’s, the super-sweet onions developed by Texas A&M University, are beginning to appear in stores! I bought about four-and-a-half pounds of them. Onions form the base of much of what I cook. A good number of recipes begin with sautéing chopped onion. Interestingly, according to Suvir Saran’s Indian Home Cooking, Hindu Brahmans’ and Jains’ religions proscribe the consumption of onions. This is not to say that onions do not figure prominently into most Indian cooking.

4 Comments:

  • I'm rather fond of Walla Wallas, though I've not tried the Texas 1015s yet. Indeed I've not heard of them until now.

    Onions are a good ingredient for many great foods, and though I don't particularly care for onions as a rule, I like the flavors they lend to food.

    By Blogger Steve, at 4:30 AM, March 27, 2006  

  • Ummmm, sauted or grilled onions. I'm getting hungry.

    By Blogger English Professor, at 6:37 AM, March 27, 2006  

  • I like the sweet Vidalia onions from Georgia. I will have to check out the 1015s.

    Yeah, about certain Hindus and Jains, the forbidden ingredients are onions, garlic, and eggs.

    It's really hard for me to cook a vegetarian entree without at least one of those ingredients!!

    By Blogger Ashley, at 2:46 PM, March 27, 2006  

  • The Jains and some Brahmins avoid anything that grows under the ground and that includes onions, tubers, etc. The reason they dont eat them is because they are prohibited from killing anything on them, even accidentally.

    Ways of religions are strange :-)

    By Blogger Sphinx, at 8:43 PM, March 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home