Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Time Spent

At the office, whenever we have any interaction with a client, or do anything that relates to a client’s case, we make an entry in “time spent.” For example, if we take a telephone call from a client, make a court appearance for a client, or conduct research on a client’s case, we make note of it in the client’s file in Amicus, the “law office on computer.” Keeping track of work performed on a client’s matter is not done for the purpose of billing, since we do not bill by the hour. Rather, maintaining copious notes allows us to know the status of a client’s case. If one of us talks to a client, or makes a court appearance with a client, the other attorneys can know what has been done and what needs to be done. It also serves to protect us, in the event that a client alleges that we have not been diligent in our representation of him or her. “Time spent” will reflect that we have been in contact with the client and that we have been working on the client’s case.

I have become so accustomed to making entries in “time spent” that, when I conclude a personal conversation with a friend or a family member, I begin to contemplate the record I will make in Amicus.

1 Comments:

  • Due to the litigious nature of the work I do, I have to carefully choose my words at public meetings. This habit has caused me to find myself conversing with friends and family in a very diplomatic, factual manner. It's really killing my sense of humor!

    Be careful of your job style creeping into your personal life!

    By Blogger Ashley, at 5:12 PM, March 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home