Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Count Chocula

My sister requested that I purchase from the grocery store a box of “Count Chocula” cereal. I had heard of Count Chocula, probably from the adverts back in the day when I watched Saturday morning cartoons.

I could not spot Count Chocula after several trips up and down the cereal aisle. Why is it necessary that there be thirty-six hundred different brands of cold cereal? The generic store brands with slightly different names placed right next to the national brands only complicate efforts to select a product. I called my sister and asked her if she knew where I could locate the insipid, sugarcoated, artificially flavored, preservative laden junk food. Following a six-minute telephone conversation during which she attempted to assist me in spotting the requested item, there was still no Count Chocula in the shopping cart. When I sought the assistance of a grocery store employee in accomplishing my mission, he responded, “Do they still make that stuff?”

Count Chocula does not appear to be among the products General Mills offers anymore. My sister had to settle for Chocolate Lucky Charms and a box of some artificial peanut butter flavored cereal.

5 Comments:

  • I liked the time when it was called corn flakes....BTW I added yu as a link atlast.

    By Blogger roya parsay, at 10:10 PM, April 08, 2006  

  • Count Chocula? Hilarious. She must have some serious PMS! I usually get peanut butter Cap'n Crunch when I am in that mood. It still exists.

    I guess that means Frankenberry is gone, too? I actually liked that one (turned my tongue blue). I spent the night at friends' houses to eat their junk cereal because my mom wouldn't buy anything more sugary than Life cereal.

    Maybe they will bring back retro 1980s cereals for our generation?

    By Blogger Ashley, at 7:08 AM, April 09, 2006  

  • I thought Frankenberry was pink? Boo Berry was blue... Then there was Yummy Mummy, but I don't know much about that one, and I think there was a fifth one as well (Count Chocula is in there, too).

    By Blogger Steve, at 4:32 AM, April 10, 2006  

  • I always liked Lucky Charms the best. I only got it on very rare occasions - basically when my dad did the grocery shopping instead of my mom. (My mom was a fan of Raisin Bran) I had no idea that they made CHOCOLATE Lucky Charms - amazing! What will they think of next?

    By Blogger Rach, at 8:20 AM, April 10, 2006  

  • Yuuuuck. I need to go eat something sour just to get rid of the sugar overload that came from reading this post.

    By Blogger English Professor, at 12:17 PM, April 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home