Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Easter Is a Celebration of Spring

What says “spring” like green bean casserole? It’s not a holiday meal if there is not a green bean casserole on the table! I recently inquired of a family member as to suggestions or requests for Easter dinner. He stated a preference for a spiral sliced ham. I was hoping for something different this year, perhaps a meal featuring lamb. In the same sentence, he uttered the words “green bean casserole.”

I associate green bean casserole with Thanksgiving, although I avoid the concoction consisting of Campbell’s soup, fried onions from a can, and canned green beans. Fare I associate with Easter includes produce that is coming into season during the spring, such as asparagus and greens, or ham or lamb. Processed foods don’t seem to fit. I suppose there will be a green bean casserole on the table this weekend, but a serving of it will not make it onto my plate.

4 Comments:

  • I hate ham. I went out for sushi yesterday and had to fight for a parking spot because it was near a Honeybaked Ham store. There was a line a block long of people waiting for a ham! Crazy!

    I also hate green bean casserole.

    You may as well make a Jell-O mold for dessert if you are going that route.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 2:33 PM, April 14, 2006  

  • greem bean casserole at Easter? Next you'll be serving pumpkin pie for dessert.

    By Blogger jules, at 3:18 PM, April 14, 2006  

  • I loves me some white trash green bean casserole, especially those crispy little onions on the top. Hooo-wee! But, I hear ya - fresh asparagus does sound much better. If you're preparing the meal, why don't you just cook what you want?

    By Blogger red.hot.mamma!, at 7:45 AM, April 15, 2006  

  • You can come by our house--lamb and asparagus are standard at Easter. And lemon meringue pie.

    By Blogger English Professor, at 8:18 PM, April 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home