Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Overhyped

I am not going to be persuaded by any more of Alison Cook’s restaurant reviews. I do not totally disagree with her assessments, but I think she tends to be slightly overzealous in her praise. I have not found the restaurants on which she lavishes such accolades to be as extraordinary as she would lead the reader to believe. I had been much looking forward to trying Dolce Vita. I thought it was smarter than the average bear, but I had the highest expectations after reading what Ms. Cook had to say about it. And how, I wonder, did Ms. Cook single out Bombay Sweets for such a rave review? It is rather nondescript in appearance, and it is nestled among a slew of other Indian eateries. If it is as superior to other Indian restaurants as Ms. Cook claims, Indian food in Houston must be the pits. Shade, where I dined with Thomas (who no longer seems to occupy the blogosphere), was immensely better than your usual dining venue, but it was simply not as divine as I had anticipated after reading Ms. Cook’s article. Of course, she is trying to sell newspapers, and she no doubt seeks praise for her work. And the more extravagant the review, the better the read.

2 Comments:

  • I do my reviewing at B4-u-eat.com. These are usually helpful, though you have to look out for disgruntled customer reviews or neighborhood regular reviews, as they tend to be less accurate.

    By Blogger Steve, at 7:49 AM, June 18, 2006  

  • yeah what DID happen to Thomas' blog??

    and i ususally stay away from critics reviews and they are usually wrong. i go by the old word of mouth way of finding the great places to dine!

    By Blogger JustJunebug, at 3:26 PM, June 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home