Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Can the Government Put My Money to Better Use Than I Can?

I wonder why my “accountant” structured the transfer of title of the Si from my brother to me such that I ended up paying $540 for tax, title, and license. This wasn’t an arm’s length transaction between unrelated parties. When I mentioned to my “accountant” that the transaction could be labeled a gift, thus avoiding incurring tax, my “accountant” asked, “You want to do the right thing, don’t you?” If “doing the right thing” means saving me money at the expense of the wealthy, wasteful, greedy government, then, yes.

One would think this CPA would be looking out for my bottom line, particularly since my “accountant” also happens to be my dad.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home