Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

490 Miles for Barbecue

I drove 490 miles roundtrip for barbecue. Luling City Market sells some storied offerings from the barbecue pit. Actually, I did not make the drive just to buy barbecue. I happened to be in Bexar County, and I stopped off on my way back to Houston. City Market does not provided utensils for dining, and they serve the barbecue wrapped in sheets of butcher paper. I skirted this lack of forks by purchasing some beef brisket for carryout.

The beef was seared on the outside, with a flavorful, crunchy crust, and it was moist and tender on the inside. It had an intensely smoky flavor. I hope using a fork and knife is not considered cheating.

5 Comments:

  • dude, that post just made my mouth water. bad bbq really makes me sick, but the stuff you had... mmm mmm good.

    By Blogger minijonb, at 8:46 AM, August 29, 2006  

  • If you ever find your way to San Angelo, stop by Old Time Pit BBQ on Bryant. The brisket usually is excellent, though on a couple occasions I got more fat than meat. Everything else is outstanding as well.

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:57 AM, August 29, 2006  

  • One time I drove 23 miles for Taco Bell.

    Not really worth it.

    By Blogger Thomas, at 10:03 AM, August 29, 2006  

  • I drove 20 miles for an Arby's once, when I was in Monterey. The closest one was in Salinas, and that one served RC cola. SOmething's not right in Salinas

    By Blogger Steve, at 7:49 AM, August 30, 2006  

  • Oh no! You should come eat BBQ in Driftwood at the Salt Lick. Much better than the Luling BBQ.

    Well, at least that's how I recall it. I haven't eaten beef in 9.5 years.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 7:23 PM, August 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home