Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Thursday, August 03, 2006

“Those are topless club prices!”

The Saint Arnold Divine Reserve No. 2 has been released. I was a bit put off by the price of $13.00 for a six-pack. That’s over twice as much as I am generally willing to pay for beer. A coworker remarked, “Those are topless club prices!” According to the description on the Saint Arnold website, “Divine Reserve is a series of single batch beers, each brewed with a completely different recipe.” The Divine Reserve is produced in extremely limited quantities, as in fewer than 500 cases. Is this a clever marketing gimmick, designed to allow the Saint Arnold Brewery to charge outrageous amounts for beer? Or is the Divine Reserve worth over $2.00 per twelve-ounces?

The more I read about it and the more I contemplated it, the more convinced I became that I had to try the exorbitantly priced Divine Reserve No. 2. If “it is best described as an Abbey American quadruppel,” two dollars for a 12-ounce might not be unreasonable, I supposed, considering that similar style beers, like Chimay or Maredsous (the production of which has been entrusted to Duvel Moortgat), cost around $6.00 to $9.00, respectively, for 750 mL bottles. Additionally, I justified purchasing a $13.00 six-pack when I considered that even a domestic brew purchased in a restaurant or bar would likely cost more than $2.00.

I found the Divine Reserve No. 2 to be sickly sweet, syrupy. It might better be consumed during the colder months. If the objective of drinking beer is to become intoxicated, this is a good pick, at 9% alcohol. If this beer “should develop well in the bottle over time,” maybe I will let it continue to take up room in the fridge. Maybe it will improve with age, or perhaps its flavor will be more agreeable with the arrival of cooler weather.

4 Comments:

  • I have never been a fan of these Belgian Ales. Way too sickly sweet for my tastes... especially at topless club prices! =;-) classic quote

    By Blogger minijonb, at 10:13 AM, August 03, 2006  

  • It was a gamble. You may actually enjoy it more as you said, in the cooler months. I suggest saving it for Thanksgiving. Even if you don't like it, you will still drink it.

    Tis the season.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 8:47 PM, August 03, 2006  

  • I've been out of the loop for a while. But it's great to see you got a job. You wouldn't be buying that expensive beer and espresso machine otherwise, right?

    By Blogger Aries327, at 7:25 PM, August 04, 2006  

  • Have you given Duvel a try yet? It's going to be in this price range, and worth every penny.

    http://www.duvel.be/

    By Blogger Fefa, at 6:43 AM, August 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home