Matthew's Foray into Blogging

Friday, November 17, 2006

Madeleines

I had not previously eaten a madeleine, the little French cakes baked in pans with scallop-shaped indentions. I had not even seen a madeleine before. I had always wanted a pair of madeleine pans, though, so I could bake the diminutive French cakes. The birthday bunny, or Santa Claus, or whoever leaves the gifts underneath my pillow on the anniversary of my birth every year brought me a pair of nonstick madeleine pans this year!

Madeleines are probably best known in America because of their role in Marcel Proust’s À la recherche du temps perdu, or Remembrance of Things Past, where the narrator’s memories of his childhood are brought back to him when he dips a madeleine into a cup of tea.

Marcel Proust’s madeleine was allegedly dry. The madeleines produced during my first attempt at baking them were delicate, cake like, and moist. I was quite pleased with the resulting scallop-shaped little sponge cakes.

Next, I want some canelé molds!

3 Comments:

  • Anyone who reads Proust has to be an elitist. Heck, anyone who blogs about Proust is pretty much an elitist too, Matt.

    By Blogger Thomas, at 10:22 AM, November 17, 2006  

  • Unfortunately, I think I discovered madeleines watching The Transporter. At least I think that was the movie. It was something semi-forgettable with lots of martial arts, shooting, running from the bad guys, sex and fresh-baked madeleines.

    So sad. So American.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 4:17 PM, November 17, 2006  

  • I was forced to read Proust against my will. I did it for a grade.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 3:50 AM, November 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home